Saturday, October 15, 2005

my heart has turned pilgrim

Good things about Switzerland:

1.
The gardens. Absoultely amazing gardens. So many flowers; every window has baskets of different coloured flowers hanging in beautiful constallations down the sides of the walls...

2.
Wanderweg. Incorrectly translated Wonder way because it is so amazing. 10500 km of marked out trail, telling you how long it will take you to get from one place to another, and so well marked out you can't get lost. Perfect for people travelling alone without maps!

3.
Patient cows. The Swiss cows constantly have miniature Church bells ding-doning under their ears. I would run my head into a wall. Luckily these cows don't, which allows us pilgrims to listen to constant music.

4.
Fabulous farms. Feels like coming back in time. Wanderweg goes straight through peoples farms and gardens, and is full of old fashioned farms with ducks and hens and cows and sheep, and everything very cottage like and nearly medieval seeming.

5.
Walnut trees. If you ever have sat at the top of a high hill overlooking a Swiss river, and gazing out over forests and alps, eating fresh walnuts, you will know what I mean. If not: try it!

My plan worked thus far. I got to Chur, slept on a bench outside of the train station in Reichenau (to my friends who promised to be with me in the dark and cold times; you were there), hiked seven hours through a beautiful valley and mountains, slept at a monestery and met a friend who shares my dreams and visions. It was one of those "coincidences". My cell phone shut itself off (something happened with the battery so it didn't ring) so I was an hour late for breakfast. As it happened breakfast was still going on and I met this girl named Monica there..

After this though, my well thought out plan failed as I can't get to the Matterhorn by interrail, so I am back at the monestery with Monica and will make a new plan tomorrow.

Yesterday I decided I am ready to be a pilgrim. For real. I picked a staff and have carved a cross and the name Kristus into it, I met a man who asked me if I am going to Compostella and wished me a good journey in latin, and I wrote the first verse of my walking song.

moving, moving slowly toward you
moving, moving slowly within you
like a baby in the womb
like a wave in the sea
I am within you
and you are in me
moving

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home